Kindle Worlds is a publication platform where you choose a licensed World, read the Content Guidelines for that World, write your story, upload that story, create a cover, and click through a publishing agreement with Amazon Publishing. Once published, every Kindle Worlds story will be featured on Amazon.com, as well as on Kindle devices and apps.
You can now opt to write in one of two Worlds from J.A. Konrath:
- Respect the Rights of Others: We take violations of laws and proprietary rights very seriously. It is your responsibility to ensure that your content complies with all respective laws or copyright, trademark, privacy, publicity, or other rights. The use of unlicensed third party intellectual property (including but not limited to characters, logos, or lyrics) is prohibited.
- Create High-Quality Works: An excellent customer reading experience is paramount to Kindle Worlds. Poorly formatted books and books with misleading titles, cover art, or product descriptions will not be published. We reserve the right to determine whether content provides a poor customer experience.
- Promote Your Creative Vision: Your writing and vision should be the focus in your Kindle Worlds fiction. Paid advertising or excessive use of brand names is prohibited.
- Choose Your Words with Care: Offensive content is prohibited, including but not limited to racial slurs, excessively graphic or violent material, or excessive use of foul language.
- Craft Romance with Intention: Sexual content is permitted, but we don't accept pornography or offensive depictions of graphic sexual acts.
- Cultivate One World at a Time: We don't permit crossovers from other Worlds, meaning your work may not include elements of any copyright-protected book, movie, or other property outside of the elements of this World.
- Write Where You Have License: This World does not include characters, scenes, events, themes, or plots that are unique to derivative works (such as movies and television shows) based on J.A. Konrath's novels, novellas, or short stories.
- Avoid Certain Characters: You are not permitted to use original characters created by other Kindle Worlds authors writing in this World. Also, some of the characters appearing in Jack Daniels and Associates or Codename: Chandler works were created by other authors as part of their collaborations with J.A. Konrath, and those characters are not included in your license to write in this World. The characters that should never appear in your story are found on the respective World pages. This guideline provides a limited exception (for characters only) to the license we grant to you in clause 3(b) of your Kindle Worlds Publishing Agreement.
- Keep Your Rights in Your Characters: You will keep all rights to any original characters (whether new or previously published) you introduce to this World through your Kindle Worlds story. This guideline provides a limited exception (for characters only) to the license you grant to us in clause 4(b) of your Kindle Worlds Publishing Agreement.
For questions about Kindle Worlds in general, visit Joe's blog post on this topic and the Kindle Worlds website. For specific information on the Jack Daniels and Associates World, visit Amazon.com or check out the information on each world here on Joe's website:
JACK DANIELS AND ASSOCIATES
If you still have questions, contact Joe at email@example.com.